In 2023, Epworth will celebrate its 130th anniversary!
A History of Epworth UMC
Epworth UMC has provided a church home for its members for more than 100 years. In 1893, Huntsville was only a whisper of what it is today. The cotton mill town was home to fewer than 8,000 people. On December 10, 1893, Epworth UMC opened its doors as Epworth Chapel Methodist Episcopal Church, South with 40 charter members. The church, located at the corner of what is now Russell Street and Humes Avenue, and its parsonage received financial support from The Dallas Manufacturing Company. In 1926, a new building was built at the corner of what is now Andrew Jackson Way and O’Shaughnessy Drive.
Growth was imminent for Epworth. In 1945, the sanctuary was enlarged and a new parsonage was built in 1954. In 1958, with Huntsville’s population undergoing tremendous growth, the Epworth congregation approved the building of a new church facility. The education building was completed that same year, and plans called for it to serve as a combined sanctuary and education building until a new sanctuary could be built.
Plans changed, though, when Epworth congregation determined more land was needed for expansion. In 1964, a new church facility was built on a five-acre site located on Epworth Drive on Chapman Mountain and today is adjacent to I-565/US Hwy 72. A long awaited educational building, fellowship hall and commercial kitchen was consecrated in December, 1991.
Today, the Epworth UMC congregation and the community make full use of the church facility for Christian worship, education and fellowship. Besides fulfilling the facility needs of its members, Epworth UMC also opens its doors to scouting groups, sports clubs, school functions and women’s groups, among others. It is part of Epworth UMC’s mission to use its facility and its grounds in ways that glorify God and promote Christian unity. With more than 100 years of experience and literally built on solid rock, Epworth UMC – its members and its church facilities – are available in the quest to make disciples of Jesus through nurture, outreach, and worship.