Worship for May 17, 2020
The Order for Worship – Sixth Sunday of Easter
Prelude – Nicky Wilson, Organist
Call to Worship – Pastor Todd
Welcome, Announcements & Greeting – Pastor Todd
† Hymn of Praise: No. 152 “I Sing the Almighty Power of God”
- I sing the almighty power of God, that made the mountains rise, that spread the flowing seas abroad, and built the lofty skies. I sing the wisdom that ordained the sun to rule the day; the moon shines full at God’s command, and all the stars obey.
- I sign the goodness of the Lord, who filled the earth with food, who formed the creatures thru the Word, and then pronounced them good. Lord, how thy wonders are displayed, where’re I turn my eye, if I survey the ground I tread, or gaze upon the sky.
- There’s not a plant or flower below, but makes the glories known, and clouds arise, and tempests blow, by order from thy throne; while all that borrows life from thee is ever in thy care; and everywhere that we can be, thou, God, art present there.
† Affirmation of Faith – Apostle’s Creed
I believe in God, the Father Almighty, maker of heaven and earth; And in Jesus Christ his only Son, our Lord; who was conceived by the Holy Spirit, born of the Virgin Mary, suffered under Pontius Pilate, was crucified, dead, and buried; the third day he rose from the dead; he ascended into heaven, and sitteth at the right hand of God the Father Almighty; from thence he shall come to judge the quick and the dead. I believe in the Holy Spirit, the holy catholic church, the communion of saints, the forgiveness of sins,
the resurrection of the body, and the life everlasting. Amen.
† Gloria Patria
Glory be to the Father and to the Son and to the Holy Ghost; As it was in the beginning is now and ever shall be, world without end. Amen. Amen.
Children’s Moment – Kelly Priest
Congregational Prayer – Pastor Todd
Our father, who art in heaven, hallowed be thy name. Thy kingdom come, thy will be done on earth as it is in heaven. Give us this day our daily bread. And forgive us our trespasses, as we forgive those who trespass against us. And lead us not into temptation, but deliver us from evil. For thine is the kingdom, and the power, and the glory, forever. Amen
† Hymn of Praise: No. 144 “This Is My Father’s World”
- This is my Father’s world, and to my listening ears all nature sings, and round me rings the music of the spheres. This is my Father’s world: I rest me in the thought of rocks and trees, of skies and seas; his hand the wonders wrought.
- This is my Father’s world, the birds and carols raise, the morning light, the lily white, declare their maker’s praise. This is my Father’s world: he shines in all that’s fair; in the rustling grass I hear him pass; he speaks to me everywhere.
- This is my Father’s world. O let me ne’er forget that though the wrong seems oft so strong, God is the ruler yet. This is my Father’s world; why should my heart be sad? The Lord is King, let the heavens ring! God reigns, let the earth be glad!
Giving of Tithes and Offerings: Click here to give online OR mail checks to 2102 Epworth Dr., Huntsville, AL 35811
Praise God, from whom all blessings flow; praise him, all creatures here below; praise him above, ye heavenly host; praise Father, Son, and Holy Ghost. Amen.
Solo by Eric Wilson – “Embrace the Cross” by Steve Green
Scripture – Acts 17:22-31 – Pastor Todd
22 Then Paul stood in front of the Areopagus and said, ‘Athenians, I see how extremely religious you are in every way. 23For as I went through the city and looked carefully at the objects of your worship, I found among them an altar with the inscription, “To an unknown god.” What therefore you worship as unknown, this I proclaim to you. 24The God who made the world and everything in it, he who is Lord of heaven and earth, does not live in shrines made by human hands, 25nor is he served by human hands, as though he needed anything, since he himself gives to all mortals life and breath and all things. 26From one ancestor he made all nations to inhabit the whole earth, and he allotted the times of their existence and the boundaries of the places where they would live, 27so that they would search for God and perhaps grope for him and find him—though indeed he is not far from each one of us. 28For “In him we live and move and have our being”; as even some of your own poets have said,
“For we too are his offspring.”
29Since we are God’s offspring, we ought not to think that the deity is like gold, or silver, or stone, an image formed by the art and imagination of mortals. 30While God has overlooked the times of human ignorance, now he commands all people everywhere to repent, 31because he has fixed a day on which he will have the world judged in righteousness by a man whom he has appointed, and of this he has given assurance to all by raising him from the dead.’
Sermon – “Determined & Adaptive” – Pastor Todd
† Hymn of Dedication: No. 393 “Spirit of the Living God”
Spirit of the living God, fall afresh on me. Spirit of the living God, fall afresh on me. Melt me, mold me, fill me, use me. Spirit of the living God, fall afresh on me.
† You are invited to stand. Yes, we know you are at home, but you are still invited to stand!
- In loving memory of Caroline Feagley, given by Tom Diggs.
- In loving memory of Carolyn Olivier, given by Tom Diggs.
- In loving memory of Carolyn Olivier, given by Dick and Brenda Titus.
UPPER ROOM. Upper Rooms (May-June) are now available. If you would like a small or large print mailed to you, please email email@example.com or leave a message on the church answering machine 256-536-1559. We will get one out to you early next week.
NOTARY. The church office now has the ability to notarize official documents. This service is available to all church members, family, teachers, and MDO families. If you need a document notarized, please contact Lynn at 256- 698-7258.
BOTTLED WATER DRIVE. The mission team will start collecting bottled water for the homeless community as soon as we return to our regular Sunday worship service. If you need assistance bringing in the water, please contact the church office. Donations may be left in the narthex coat area.
PRAYER LIST. Please take a moment to look over the prayer list. If you placed a loved one or friend on the list and may now be removed, please notify the church office by email at firstname.lastname@example.org. The prayer list is in an image file to prevent names from being indexed in search engines.