Last Week’s Worship (3-29-2020)
Watch specific parts with the links below:
The Order for Worship—Fifth Sunday in Lent
Call to Worship – Pastor Todd
Prelude – Nicky Wilson, Organist
Welcome & Announcements – Pastor Todd
† Hymn of Praise:
No. 117 “O God, Our Help in Ages Past
- O God, our help in ages past, our hope for years to come, our shelter from the stormy blast, and our eternal home!
- Under the shadow of thy throne, still may we dwell secure; sufficient in thine arm along, and our defense is sure.
- Before the hills in order stood, or earth received her frame, from everlasting, thou art God, to endless years the same.
- A thousand ages, in thy sight, are like an evening gone; short as the watch that ends the night, before the rising sun.
- Time, like an ever rolling stream, bears all who breathe away; they fly forgotten as a dream dies at the opening day.
- O God, our help in ages past, our hope for years to come; be thou our guide while life shall last, and our eternal home.
† Affirmation of Faith – Lenten Creed
We believe that our lives are held within the encircling love of God, who knows our names and recognizes our deepest needs. We believe that Christ is the divine Child of the living God, and that his grace is like living waters that can never be exhausted. We believe in the birthing, renewing, enabling Spirit of God who yearns over our welfare as a mother yearns for her child. We believe that God is in the arid desert as well as in green pastures, and that hard times and disciplines are also loving gifts. We believe that our journey has a purpose and a destination, and that our path leads to a human glory we cannot yet imagine. We believe that in the church we are fellow pilgrims on the road, and that we are called to love one another as God loves us. This is our faith and we are humbled to profess in Jesus the Christ. Amen.
† Gloria Patria
Glory be to the Father and to the Son and to the Holy Ghost; As it was in the beginning is now and ever shall be, world without end. Amen. Amen.
Children’s Moment – Kelly Priest
Congregational Prayer – Pastor Todd
Our father, who art in heaven, hallowed be thy name. Thy kingdom come, thy will be done on earth as it is in heaven. Give us this day our daily bread. And forgive us our trespasses, as we forgive those who trespass against us. And lead us not into temptation, but deliver us from evil. For thine is the kingdom, and the power, and the glory, forever. Amen
† Hymn of Praise:
No. 420 “Breath on Me, Breath of God
- Breathe on me, Breath of God, fill me with life a new, that I may love what thou dost love, and do what thou wouldst do.
- Breathe on me, Breath of God, until my heart is pure, until with thee I will one will, to do and to endure.
- Breathe on me, Breath of God, till I am wholly thine, till all this earthly part of me glows with thy fire divine.
- Breathe on me, Breath of God, so shall I never die, but live with thee the perfect life of thine eternity.
Giving of Tithes and Offerings: Click here to give online OR mail checks to 2102 Epworth Dr., Huntsville, AL 35811
Praise God, from whom all blessings flow; praise him, all creatures here below; praise him above, ye heavenly host; praise Father, Son, and Holy Ghost. Amen.
Anthem – “His Eyes Is On the Sparrow – Solo by Dr. Eric Wilson
Scripture – Ezekiel 37:1-14 – Pastor Todd
Sermon – “A Leapfrog Opportunity” – Pastor Todd
† Hymn of Dedication:
No. 452 “My Faith Looks Up to Thee”
- My faith looks up to thee, thou Lamb of Calvary, Savior divine! Now hear me while I pray, take all my guilt away, O Let me from this be wholly thine!
- May thy rich grace impart strength to my fainting heart, my zeal inspire! As thou hast died for me, O may my love to thee pure, warm, and changeless be, a living fire!
- While life’s dark maze I tread, and griefs around me spread, be thou my guide; bid darkness turn today, wipe sorrow’s tears away, nor let me ever stray from thee aside.
- When ends life’s transient dream, when death’s cold sullen stream shall o’er me roll; blest Savior, then in love, fear and distrust remove; O bear me safe above a ransomed soul!
† You are invited to stand. Yes, we know you are at home, but you are still invited to stand!
5th Sunday in Lent
LENTEN DISCIPLINES FOR THE WEEK
3/29 – Weekly Theme “Longing”; Bring a rock to the foot of the cross.
3/30 – Spend some time meditating on this question: Do you have a friend or family member who has some desire or longing that conflicts with your own desire or longing for them or yourself? What would it look like to release that desire to God?
3/31 – Give someone something that will help them reach a goal.
4/1 – Spend some time today asking yourself, “What parts of my life are lacking?”
4/2 – Prayer – Lent
4/3 – Song of Solomon 1
4/4 – Make a list of ways in which you would like to be closer to God.
Let me hold fast to you, beautiful Lord, who the angels themselves yearn to look upon. Wherever you go, I will follow you. If you pass through fire, I will not flinch, I fear no evil when you are with me. You carry my griefs, because you grieve for my sake. You passed through the narrow doorway from death to life, to make it wide enough for all to follow. Nothing can ever now separate me from your love.
Source: Harper Collings Book of Prayer (Page 64, #2)
Holy Week Schedule
*** Subject to Change Based on Governmental and Episcopal Guidance ***
Palm Sunday – Livestream Worship @ 10:15
Palm Sunday Parade – Sign up here to be in parade OR have parade come by your house. Parade leaves Epworth at 3pm.
Stations of the Cross – Drive or Walk Thru – Outside @ Epworth, All Day – Good Friday and Holy Saturday. Mandatory Coronavirus safety protocols in affect.
Easter Sunrise – 6:30 am – Drive-In Worship – Lower Lot
Easter Morning Worship – Drive-In Worship – Tune in via FM radio. Two services: 9 am and 10:15 am
VACATION BIBLE SCHOOL. Mark your calendar for VBS this summer! We will journey into the Wilderness, June 15th-18th, 9:30am-11:30am. If you would like to volunteer to help, please contact Kelly.
EASTER LILIES. The church office will be placing an order for Easter Lilies soon. If you would like to purchase a lily in honor or memory of someone, please call, email or text Lynn at 256-698-7258, firstname.lastname@example.org. Please send your payment in the mail. If you would like to donate your lily after Easter, we will plat on our campus.
CELEBRATION OF LIFE.
Please join Richard and David Cable for a celebration of the life of their mother, Jane Cable on Saturday, April 4th at 2:00pm at her home, 129 Breakwater Drive, Huntsville, AL 35811. We will share fellowship with some words of remembrance from her sons, her favorite hymns, light refreshments, joy and laughter. Jane’s Celebration of Life service has been cancelled. We will let you know if it is rescheduled.
FIRST STOP FUNDRAISER GOLF TOURNAMENT. The First Stop Fundraiser Golf Tournament has been canceled.
PRAYER LIST. Please take a moment to look over the prayer list. If you placed a loved one or friend on the list and may now be removed, please notify the church office by email at email@example.com. The prayer list is in an image file to prevent names from being indexed in search engines.
NOTARY. The church office now has the ability to notarize official documents. This service is available to all church members, family, teachers, and MDO families. If you need a document notarized within the next three weeks, please contact Lynn at 256- 698-7258.
BLESSING OF THE ANIMALS MINISTRY INITIATIVE. There will be a initial planning meeting
Sunday, Marth 29th after worship in the Homemakers Room. We will announce a new meeting time/date when pandemic precautions have been lifted.
PUBLIC CHRISTMAS TREE LIGHTING. There will be a initial planning meeting on Sunday, April 29th after worship in the Homemakers Room.
BOTTLED WATER DRIVE. The mission team will start collecting bottled water for the homeless community on April 1st, 2020. If you need assistance bringing in the water, please contact the church office. Donations may be left in the narthex coat area.